It’s almost time for the kids to head back to school, which means cold weather isn’t far behind!
These 11 important household chores are great to do while you might still be able to find some summer helpers:
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to your window and door frames. Also, check for drafts, loose frames or cracked panes.
- Wash all windows and install storm panes as needed; to prevent heat from escaping, line the interior with insulation film and/or hang energy saver curtains.
- Add weather stripping to all doors as another energy saving measure.
- Check the insulation and wrap pipes in unheated locations.
- Clean and prep your furnace, wood stove, fireplace or back up generator.
- Prepare an “emergency” kit in case of power outages from snow and ice storms with some key items: food, important documents, family photos, flashlights and batteries.
- Clean clothes dryer vent pipe.
- Clean showerheads, bathroom drains and vents.
Keep in mind the following as the summer winds down. These are important outdoor tasks that should be completed once the fall season arrives.
- Clean, repair and store your grill, patio furniture and pool accessories.
- Prepare lawn mowers, leaf blowers, weed whackers and other yard maintenance equipment for storage; don’t forget to drain fuel from all gas-operated equipment.
- Close outdoor water valves and drain garden hoses.